The Greater Alliance Foundation Awards More Than $280,000 to the Alliance Community in Grants
Recently the Greater Alliance Foundation Trustees met to review spring grant proposals. Our community foundation, in its 16th year, administers funds established by individuals and non-profit organizations. GAF now has over 60 funds that support many community needs for Alliance's charitable organizations.
During the first half of 2016, local grant recipients include:
- Alliance Area Development Foundation - $25,000 for economic growth campaign "Make It Yours!"
- Alliance Career Centre - $11,473 in adult training scholarships
- Alliance Community Hospital - $7,000 matching grant for a Physio-Control LIFENET system for ER Department
- Alliance Family YMCA - $19,000 for the Strong Kids Campaign
- Alliance Pregnancy Center - $1,900 for new computers and software
- Alliance Symphony Endowment Fund - $500
- Alliance YWCA - $25,200 to assist in the continuation of the Summer Explorers learning loss program for Alliance elementary students
- Alliance Shade Tree Commission - $4,750 to plant/replace trees and maintain a sustainable urban forest in Alliance and assist in the beautification initiative
- ArtsinStark - $2,500 in support of the 20/20 Vision Alliance Plan
- City of Alliance - $2,500 matching grant in support of the National Registry for downtown Alliance
- Early Childhood Education Alliance, Inc. - $30,000 for operations
- Early Childhood Resource Center - $5,000 for local program support
- Invent Now Summer Camp - $2,000 for Marlington students STEM Camp
- Marlington Local - $125,000 for the STEM Lab classroom renovations and equipment
- Men's Challenge - $3,000 in support of men's job skills, coaching, mentoring and workshops
- One Book One Community - $2,856.75 to provide 325 copies of A Deadly Wandering for area high school students
- R. T. White School of Practical Nursing - $2,000 for LPN scholarships
- Rodman Public Library - $7,500 to provide the Fogle Author Series which is a series of lectures from Ohio authors for our community to enjoy.
- University of Mount Union - $2,000 for Shakespeare at the Castle
If your local charitable organization would like to apply for a grant, please visit our website to learn more about our grant application process at www.greateralliancefoundation.org.
Beatrice L. Miller Charitable Fund Established
B. L. Miller Advisory Board: Connie Brodzinski, Marilyn Bower, Stephen Stone, Ruth Braidic and John Burnquist (standing)
The Greater Alliance Foundation announces the establishment and grant awards through the B. L. Miller Charitable Fund. In 1934, Beatrice L. Miller started the Royal China Company through a purchase of the E. H. Sebring China Company. Through her successful career, Beatrice established a foundation to support charitable organizations in this area many years ago. Recently, the Beatrice L. Miller Foundation transferred their assets to the Greater Alliance Foundation and established the B. L. Miller Charitable Fund to continue their work in supporting area nonprofits. Through the recommendations of the B. L. Miller Advisory Committee, the Greater Alliance Foundation Trustees recently approved $12,200 from the fund to be distributed to the following organizations:
- Alliance Area Domestic Violence Shelter
- Alliance Area Ulster Project
- Alliance Community Pantry
- Alliance Salvation Army
- Buckeye Council Boy Scouts
- Community Fellowship and Food
- Sebring Presbyterian Church
- Sebring Salvation Army
- The Concern
- Village of Sebring (Community Center)
- Alliance Family YMCA Team Leaders Club
- Alliance Family YMCA Sebring Learn to Swim Program
- Alliance YWCA
Douglas Schwarz commented, "In learning more about Beatrice L. Miller, she was indeed an extraordinary woman. Her business acumen and her philanthropic endeavors are to be admired. I know that the Greater Alliance Foundation Trustees will continue her philanthropic legacy through the foresight and advice of the B. L. Miller Charitable Fund Advisory Committee." For more information on how you can help meet the needs of the greater Alliance community through your charitable donations, please contact the Greater Alliance Foundation at 330.823.8560 or send your charitable donation to The Greater Alliance Foundation, 960 West State Street, Suite 130, Alliance, Ohio 44601.
November 20, 2015
Reeds' Show Passion for Early Childhood Education Care
Drs. Robert and Sally Reed demonstrated kindness and compassion for others during their residency and in their medical practices in Alliance. Although they retired to warmer year-round weather, their hearts remained in Alliance. Together, they initiated the Drs. Robert and Sally Reed Early Education Fund to assist families with enrollment fees in child care centers in Alliance at the beginning of 2015. Additionally, their intent was to also help the Early Childhood Education Alliance by providing sponsorship for an annual family event.
Dr. Robert Reed passed away on May 27, 2015. Dr. Reed was the co-founder and member of the Board of Trustees at Good Samaritan Medical Clinic, former staff member at Alliance Community Hospital and was the recipient of the Stark County Medical Society Lifetime Achievement Award. Memorial contributions may be made to the Greater Alliance Foundation for the benefit of the Reed Early Education Fund.